Fitness. Tech. And Fun. Three things synonymous with Flatiron. And this summer, all three will be in abundance in one of the most popular neighborhoods in New York City.
Starting on June 19, the Flatiron/23rd Street Partnership Business Improvement District (BID) will hold eight weeks of free programming—fitness classes, tech courses, games, and entertainment—on the Flatiron Public Plazas this summer. The popular Flatiron Summer Series will be anchored by three theme days—Tech Tuesdays, Wellness Wednesdays, and Throwback Thursdays—with activities taking place on the Public Plazas at the intersection of 23rd Street, Broadway, and Fifth Avenue in the shadow of the iconic Flatiron Building.
“Each year, our Flatiron Summer Series draws even more residents, employees, and visitors looking to learn, to play, and to experience something different and engaging in one of New York City’s most vibrant neighborhoods,” said Flatiron/23rd Street Partnership Executive Director Jennifer Brown. “This summer, we’re extremely excited to offer a fantastic lineup of fitness, tech classes, games, entertainment, and even some sweet treats—there is something for everyone!”
The Flatiron Summer Series runs from through Thursday, August 9. The BID and the National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) will celebrate the Summer Solstice—the longest day of the year—on Thursday, June 21, with a giant Sundial Event in the North Public Plaza from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM, as part of the BID’s first Throwback Thursday of the season. Attendees to this free event can cast their shadow to mark the time, help create a large-scale human timepiece, and leave their personal mark on a jumbo sundial banner that will be displayed in the nation’s only Museum of Mathematics through the end of June.
Since 2012, the BID, in
Partnership with General Assembly, has provided the neighborhood with a series of free tech education classes. This year, instructors from General Assembly and local institutions and businesses, including Touro College, Baruch College, and ThoughtMatter, will teach classes on the South Public Plaza from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Classes are free and open to the public but are subject to changes due to weather.
- Tuesday, June 19 – Snap. Play. Doodlematic Workshop with Touro College.
- Tuesday, June 26 – Building a Personal Digital Brand with Baruch College.
- Tuesday, July 3 – Intro to Coding with General Assembly.
- Tuesday, July 10 – Plan, Manage & Execute Technology Projects with Touro College.
- Tuesday, July 17 – Intro to Product Management with General Assembly.
- Tuesday, July 24 – Intro to Data Analytics with General Assembly.
- Tuesday, July 31 – Milleniheirs with ThoughtMatter.
- Tuesday, August 7 – Civic Engagement: Why Complex Design Matters with ThoughtMatter.
In celebration of Flatiron’s reputation as New York City’s “Fit-District,” this summer the BID will continue to partner with Athleta to present free fitness classes on the South Public Plaza on Wednesdays from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. The classes will be taught by instructors from local studios, including exhale Flatiron, Uplift Studios, Bode NYC, New York Health & Racquet Club, and Tiger Schulmann. Classes are free and open to the public but are subject to changes due to weather.
- Wednesday, June 20 – Barre + Cardio with exhale. The best of both worlds, this class blends everything you already know about barre with toning cardio intervals.
- Wednesday, June 27 – STRENGTH with Uplift Studios. 45-minutes of time-based fatigue for every muscle group, interspersed with high-intensity interval sections
- Wednesday, July 4 – No class
- Wednesday, July 11 – Bode Flow (yoga) with Bode NYC. A vigorous and fun flow series for all levels that develops strength and improves range of motion of the entire body.
- Wednesday, July 18 – Zumba with New York Health & Racquet Club. A dynamic fitness program including Latin rhythms, easy-to-follow moves, sculpting, and resistance training.
- Wednesday, July 25 – Kickboxing with Tiger Schulmann. Learn the basics of real kickboxing while getting a great work out and having fun.
- Wednesday, August 1 – Vinyasa Yoga with New York Health & Racquet Club. Emphasis is on linking breath with movement, strength, and form.
- Wednesday, August 8 – Hot HIIT with Bode NYC. A training system that combines High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), muscle toning, and cardio with warm temperatures.
On Throwback Thursdays, the BID will organize a game station that is free and open to the public on the Flatiron North Public Plaza with board games, a giant Connect Four, and cornhole sets available to play for free from 11:00 AM until 7:00 PM.
Local businesses and organizations will join in on the fun to provide free cultural education and entertainment, such as a children’s bookbinding activity by the Center for Book Arts, and a photo frame arts & crafts project by Wonder Photo Shop from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM on select Thursdays. At 6:00 PM each Thursday, local musical performers will entertain passersby. Performances will be held at Rizzoli bookstore in the event of inclement weather.
Continuing this year, the BID will partner with Eataly and Shake Shack to provide complimentary servings of Eataly’s Gelato at “Summer Scoops Kickoff” (June 21), Shake Shack’s Frozen Custard at “Mid-Summer Scoops” (July 19), and Eataly’s mini cannoli at “Summer Sweets” (August 10).
- Thursday, June 21 – Games, MoMath Solstice Sundial, The Center for Book Arts, The PIT, and Summer Scoops Kickoff with free gelato by Eataly.
- Thursday, June 28 – Games, Wonderphoto, and The Jazz Gallery.
- Thursday, July 5 – Games and The Jazz Gallery.
- Thursday, July 12 – Games and Hill Country Live.
- Thursday, July 19 – Games, TADA! Youth Theatre and Mid-Summer Scoops with free frozen custard by Shake Shack.
- Thursday, July 26 – Games, Hill Country Live.
- Thursday, August 2 – Games and TBD
- Thursday, August 9 – Games, The Jazz Gallery, and Summer Sweets with free mini cannoli by Eataly.
To view a full calendar of local events, and discover more about special offers in the neighborhood, visit: www.flatirondistrict.nyc/summer2018. To get immediate notifications of the classes and RSVP opportunities, sign up for the Flatiron/23rd Street Partnership’s newsletter at http://www.flatirondistrict.nyc/contact-us.