- This event has passed.
Women of the World Festival at the Apollo Theater
March 12 - March 17
The Apollo Theater revealed the line-up for the third annual WOW – Women of the World Festival. Presented over six days in various spaces at the iconic cultural theater, the WOW Festival runs from March 12-17 and will feature workshops, activities, programming, and, performances with artists, community leaders, writers, thinkers, activists, and leaders exploring a variety of issues across cultural, civic, and social boundaries with a focus on empowerment and activism. Participants include Poet Nikki Giovanni, Educator Dr. Johnnetta B. Cole; Finance Expert Suze Orman; Musician Alice Smith; White House Correspondent April Ryan; Comedian Mugga, and more to be announced. WOW Apollo will feature more than a dozen events, many of the events free or low cost.
Launched in 2010, the Festivals have developed a reputation as a space where world-renowned artists, performers, and political and social activists come and participate, alongside thousands of people of all genders, to celebrate achievements and imagine a gender equal world together. The unique festival model creates ways for participants and campaigners, women and men, to take part in WOW, to amplify their own causes, or start new initiatives, which have a wide impact on communities. To date, WOW has reached over 2 million people in 17 countries on 5 continents across more than 60 festivals.The Apollo Theater is proud to be WOW’s New York home and its programming centers on issues and topics of interest to Women of Color.
Tickets and RSVP links to WOW Apollo are available now at www.wowapollo.com.
Offering an incredible range of powerful voices and insights, this year’s WOW Festival at the Apollo will include:
- A conversation between Poet Nikki Giovanniand National Council of Negro Women President Johnnetta B. Coleon Tuesday, March 12
- Multi-talented comedian and film star Mugga at the mic, hosts an all-women Comedy Night on Thursday, March 14
- Heralded singer Alice Smith and performer Liv Warfield take the stage on Friday, March 15
- Things heat up on Saturday, March 16 thanks to a full day of offerings including a Women and Money with Suze Orman, the world’s personal finance expert
- Also on Saturday: WOW 2019’s Teen Summit featuring panelists from theater, journalism, modeling, podcast/radio, and comedy, addressing shade representation in the media and helping young people better understand the history and current climate of colorism
- A full range of free events take place on Sunday, March 17, including conversations between icons and thought-leaders including educator and activist Angela Davis in a sit-down with WOW Founder Jude Kelly; White House Correspondent/Journalist April Ryanand many more workshops and conversations that center around issues important to women of color
- Interactive sessions and WOW bites—energized bite-sized talks, such as Work, Women, and Spirituality: A Sisters’ Cypher; Women Auto Know, a workshop on car maintenance; and Leadership Hacks for Women, a panel sharing perspectives and practical advice to women of all ages—round out Sunday’s docket