In Lower Manhattan, Brooklyn Bridge Beach to Open and Host Activities for One Day
On Saturday, July 14, 2018, 10am to 4pm, the Waterfront Alliance presents City of Water Day, the annual free family festival that welcomes people to the waters that surround us.
- Kick-off celebration aboard the tall ship Wavertree at Pier 16 in the Seaport District (9:30am-10am; media welcome).
- Free PortNYC Boat Tours throughout the day on ferries, sailing ships, motor yachts, and a fireboat.
- One-day opening of Brooklyn Bridge Beach. Directly under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Manhattan side, this small, sandy beach will be the venue for the annual Con Edison Cardboard Kayak Race and will host free public kayak lessons throughout the day.
- 15 teams competing in the Con Edison Cardboard Kayak Race at 11am at Brooklyn Bridge Beach in Manhattan (teams receive their supplies at 8:30am and build at the beach until 10:30am. Heats commence at 11am).
- Free children’s activities sponsored by Disney at Pier 17.
- Food, music, dance, and art throughout the day.
- Free paddling, rowing and sailing at locations throughout the New York Harbor.
The City of Water Day festival hub is presented by The Howard Hughes Corporation at Piers 16 and 17 in the Seaport District, and at dozens of In Your Neighborhood sites in all five boroughs, Yonkers, and New Jersey.
The Waterfront Alliance works to protect, transform, and revitalize our harbor and waterfront.