A day at the beach is an all day affair. We watch our skins gradience from sun deprived to sun kissed. We watch the sun travel on it’s journey from one part of the sky to the next. We’re constantly repositioning ourselves so we don’t miss an angle of tan. And ever so frequently, we’ll sneak a peak beneath our bikini straps to see our golden goddess progress.
With a day as long as this, you need to be prepared to bring a tote packed with protection and beauty products. Tote’s can be messy though, within the deep, dark depths of our bags we overpack with products thrown in by indecision. Lighten up the load with these 8 beach bag beauty essentials!
1. David and Young – Floppy Hat: For all intents and purposes, hats are made to block to the suns rays from hitting your face. So do visors, but they’re not entirely attractive. David and Young has got you covered with their wide brim, floppy straw hats, providing the ultimate protection from the UV rays. We often neglect that our hair undergoes the same damage process as our skin from a lack of sun protectants. Avoid brittle and aged hair, and look chic while you do it.
2. Paula’s Choice – Sunscreen Spray Broad Spctrum SPF 43: With the plethora available, it was hard for us to choose. This sunscreen comes in a convenient spray-mist bottle, so you no longer need to apply sunscreen with your hands, and it’s great for hard to reach areas on your back. The quick absorption rate makes this perfect for applying pre-makeup application or bare-faced for the best coverage against UV rays. The best part, it’s formulated with antioxidants to protect skin against environmental damage. A nonnegotiable item.
3. Makeup Forever – Smoky Extravagant Mascara: Embracing natural beauty is imperative but we can all attest to the magic that ensues when we apply a little mascara to our lashes. With MUFE’s mascara, it’s waterproof formula is safe for the beach and the pool without looking like a black-eyed mess.
4. Rene Furterer – Solaire Protective Summer Fluid: Your hat provides enough protection but in the event that you don’t want to wear one, or, your take it off to give your face some color, you’re going to need hair protectant. This light weight fluid should be applied intermittently, to both wet and dry hair. Much like how we apply sunscreen in intervals, this protectant should be applied every couple of hours.
5. Sugergoop! – Fusion Lip Balm with SPF 30: We’re so consumed with lathering up our bodies with sunscreen, we forget a very delicate and important area… LIPS. Chapped lips from the winter are one thing, but the pain that ensues from a sunburn is uncontested. Keep your lips protected with this shea butter infused lip balm that leaves behind a rosy pink sheen.
6. Tatcha – Original Aburatorigami Oil Blotting Sheets: Oil production on our faces can occur from a range of factors: we could develop it naturally based on your skin type, it can accumulate from the oils in our sunscreen, or inevitably from exposure to the sun. Whatever the reason may be, oil blotting sheets absorb the excess sebum and leave your skin looking mattefied. Removing unwanted buildup, these sheets are an indispensable beach tote must-have.
7. Dove – Advanced Care 48-hour deodorant: Where there’s sun, there’s sweat. Just one application will leave you feeling fresh for the entire day and then some. Dove’s longevity makes this a deodorant for all seasons, but especially the current. A Downtown favorite and a beauty editor must have? Dove’s beauty finish scent.
8. Soften Her – We’ve all been here before, we think our legs are smooth and hairless when you come across unwanted stubble. While it may be unconventional to bring a razor to the beach, these small pink Soften Her circles discretely allow you to smooth away hair before anyone realizes what you’re doing. Just rub in circular motions a few times and watch the hair disappear, then, feel how insanely smooth your legs are!
By: Yasmine Rimawi