NYC’s Biggest Gay Party Producer Takes The World Stage
Jake Resnicow is New York City’s biggest gay party producer, producing a series of monthly mega-events in New York City, including M.E.A.T., U-NITE and VERS. He has made a name for himself as a party-giving philanthropist, raising over $2 million by producing some of the city’s most prestigious fundraiser events for organizations including Trevor Project, Ali Forney Center, and It Gets Better. Jake is a force outside of the city as well. He is the producer of Matinée USA, an extension of the party brand that launched in Ibiza twenty years ago. Like its European predecessor, his events in Miami, Las Vegas and Los Angeles are spectacles, incorporating elaborate theatrical sets and musical productions. Last month, he took on his biggest project to date, producing the main event at Vienna’s Life Ball, Europe’s grandest philanthropic event for HIV/AIDS. The event attracted stars Patti LaBelle, Paris Jackson, Kelly Osborne and more.
Q&A With NYC Pride’s Leading Promoter Jake Resnicow
- Who is Jake Resnicow? (Tell us about yourself & the creation of Matinée etc.)
I’ve always had a passion for throwing special events. When I was 14, I started an entertainment company, doing everything from MC’ing weddings to DJing school dances. While in school, I took on a part-time job as Nightlife Editor for EDGE magazine. On a trip to Spain, I was blown away by Matinée, and decided to pursue my dream of bringing the magical nightlife experience to the U.S.
It all started in New York City during Pride 2010 where we transformed Manhattan’s Governor’s Island into an over-the-top outdoor dance arena from day into night. At sunset, a surprise fireworks display ignited the skyline. This was the moment I knew I found my calling…
- What is your inspiration and vision for this year’s Matinée pride events?
I’m all about creating unique experiences for all guests to be free to express themselves and leave WOWed. I love being a Special Event producer because I can look at each event as a blank canvas. I especially look forward to our annual LUVBOAT Sunset Pride Cruise that sails past the Statue of Liberty, under the Brooklyn Bridge, and into the fireworks. It’s magical.
- What DJ’s are you using this Pride?
We always invite a diverse, international lineup to deliver a sexy, vocal sound that progresses throughout the weekend. This past year included Danny Verde (Italy), Dan Slater (Austrailia), Nina Flower (Puerto Rico), Phil Romano (Barcelona), and local favorites Paulo, Cindel and Joe Pacheco.
- Who are the Jake Resnicow followers?
I realize you’re only as good as your last event. I truly appreciate each and every guest for their support over the years. You inspire me to do what I do.
- What is your involvement with the Life Ball in Vienna?
Life Ball is Europe’s HIV/AIDS biggest charity event. This past year, I produced the Main Floor inside Vienna’s city hall, treating guests to live performances by international talent. It’s a life-changing event and I highly recommend everyone attend at least once!
- What is your preferred charity and or cause?
I am passionate about giving back. It’s been an honor to support Life Ball over the past 5 years. They’ve raised over 30 million euros that go directly to fighting HIV/AIDS around the world. Every year around the holidays, we pick a charity to donate event proceeds. This has included Lambda Legal, The Trevor Project, Ali Forney Center, and the It Gets Better Project. These are all essential organizations that do amazing work for our community.
- As one of the leading Promoters of “NYC Gay Nightlife”, what separates you from the rest?
I truly love what I do. I look at every event as an opportunity to elevate the experience and go further. I’m fortunate to have an incredible creative team; we challenge each other on a daily basis.
- Who would you like to have as your ideal performer at your pride events?
There are so many legends I would love to welcome on-stage. If I had to pick one, I would say Beyoncé.
- What are the essentials in your closet and favorite color?
Black jeans, the perfect tee and a classic blazer. I am always one to throw in pops of color, but black is my go-to. I’m also a big fan of Patricia Fields ArtFashion store in New York for one-of-a-kind pieces.
- Which gay icon do you prefer (Team ) Lady Gaga or (Team) Katy Perry?
They are both amazing. I have to go with Gaga.
- What music are you listening to in your playlist?
I’ve really gotten into Tropical House, especially Thomas Jack’s podcast.
- What is your favorite song, favorite genre of music and favorite artist right now?
Diva from Club 69 compilation CD by Peter Rauhofer cause I’m a diva from head to toe! 🙂
- What do you want everyone to experience and take with them when they go to a Jake Resnicow event?
My mission is to give each guest an unforgettable experience with every event we throw. I welcome feedback, whether it’s positive or negative. It’s how we continue to get better.
- What’s your favorite food and cocktail?
I love a good spicy margarita… I’ve gotten into a morning routine of making homemade acaí protein bowls every morning.
- What is your favorite #hashtag and top 3 people you follow on instagram?
#Happy, I follow @life_ballofficial, @madonna & @kylieminogue
- What is your favorite gay travel destination?
Spain is amazing. It’s where I first got inspired to get into nightlife. The people, the energy, the music, it’s infectious.
- What are you currently reading?
Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking
- What is your favorite gadget?
The DJI Spark drone is a game-changer. Fits in your hand, easy to use and creates amazing aerial videos!
- Who or what did you last google?
- Who is your favorite designer and what was your last purchase?
I love DSQUARED, especially their jeans and shoes. For party gear, I love Maor Luz and ASOS.
- What is your favorite LGBTQ TV show?
I’m all about Ryan Murphy’s new show POSE. Highly recommend!
- Who is your favorite actor and actress?
Dominique Jackson & Billy Porter
- Give us one phrase to describe Gay Pride in NYC?
- What is the next big thing you are working on?
For the first time in U.S. history, World Pride comes to New York in 2019 and we’re prepping a series of massive Main Events. Stay tuned for major announcements at WorldPrideWeek.com
- What does Downtown NYC mean to you?
Downtown truly gets the beat and culture of NYC. Keep up the great work!